Engineering Internship Co-op Project Assistant - Victoria BC (4 month term)About the Company
Campbell Construction Ltd. is over 50 years old and the largest general contractor on the Island. We are a union company and have over 300 employees and specialize in concrete formwork, placing and finishing, wood framing and have our own millwork shop. At Campbell Construction we’re constantly pushing the limits - propelling ourselves toward bigger and better opportunities, while exploring new market sectors and services. So it only seems natural that we'd hire people who have their own voice and aren't afraid to use it. They follow a path of continuous learning with an innovative spirit that leads them to be recognized as leaders in the industry. We hire these types of people knowing they are as diverse as we are, and they come on board because they share our core values. Then we simply give them the freedom to take their career (and Campbell Construction) further.Picture the Possibilities
You come into work every day knowing that you are a key leader in building new and exciting projects throughout Victoria. It’s a lot of pressure sometimes, but you enjoy being challenged and leading the team to successful project completion. Your co-workers look to you for answers and as a manager you have the freedom to excel. When you walk down the street, you look at major projects and think “I know how that came together”.Qualifications
- Civil Engineering, Construction Management, & Building Engineering Student/Internship - Uvic, BCIT, Camosun, UBC
- 12 months of previous work experience in the construction industry or managing facilities
- A working knowledge of construction scopes and activities, RFI's, change management, scheduling and project management.
- An understanding of estimating and reading blueprints and architectural drawings
- An understanding of Bluebeam and Gmail / Google Docs
- Meet with Owners and Architects in a professional manner and have the ability to communicate effectively both the concerns and best interests of the company and record meeting minutes.
- Prepare RFI's
- Process shop drawings and submittals
- Prepare pricing on concrete, excavation and finish carpentry
- Confirmation of trade and own forces work
- Submit project reports to project managers and communicate with management about project progress and areas of risk that need to be escalated
- Evan Cambridge - “Working with the Campbell office staff allowed me to feel like I was truly part of the team. I had several colleagues acting as mentors who showed me the ins and outs of the commercial contracting world. My duties as Project Assistant were also significant to the project budget and schedule, which gave me a sense of purpose and motivated me to do well”
- Param Bhatti - "My time at Campbell Construction was very enriching. I was openly encouraged to take initiative and given ample opportunity to develop and strengthen my project management skills. At Campbell, I got to work alongside a group of highly talented individuals and leave my mark on some of Victoria's biggest construction projects."
- Brayden Hughes - "Campbell construction is a great place to work and learn with an awesome group of easy going yet efficient and extremely intelligent employees. I would encourage any co-op student to apply to Campbell Construction especially if they share an interest in commercial construction and enjoy learning new things everyday."
- Malcolm McEachern - "The team environment Campbell pursues is reminiscent of the small company aspect I grew up with living and working on Bowen Island, but with big ambitions. Having worked for large companies such as PCL and CNRL, the team morale does not compare to what Campbell has here, and I believe this shows in the quality of work being produced by the company and its employees."
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org . All applications will be held in strict confidence and must include a cover letter, resume, references and university/college transcripts.
NOTE - Cover letter must be less than 200 words in 12pt arial font with 1" boarders, we would like to see that people have read the posting and have concise professional business writing skills! Resumes that do not include all required information (transcripts, cover letter, resume, and references) will not be considered.